What is the Open edX® platform?
The Open edX platform is used to create and host online courses using your web browser. It can be used for any number of learners and also works great on mobile. The platform provides a smooth learning experience to learners and instructors alike.
The Open edX platform is a powerful learning management system (LMS) used by organizations from all over the world to host Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) as well as smaller classes and training modules. The edX® organization, a nonprofit founded by Harvard and MIT, designed and released the Open edX platform in 2013 with the goal of making it possible for universities and institutions to deliver high-quality courses to learners everywhere. The platform is released as open source and continues to grow every year.
How does the platform work?
The platform allows easy creation of online courses. When needed, OpenCraft expands and customizes it to suit your organization’s needs.
- Quickly create courses, integrate content, and launch assessment tools and activities.
- Streamlined user experience that builds a sense of community for educators and learners.
- Access in-depth learner analytics to measure performance and gain insight.
- Customizable to integrate with your existing software including a suite of APIs, integration with LTI tools, Content Management Systems, and Customer Relationship Management software.
Studio: Course Creation Tool
Studio is used to create and organize courses, allowing for:
- Quick integration of content from videos, documents, and complex HTML
- A variety of assessment activities like multiple choice questions, interactive drag and drop problems, polls, vector-drawing programs, essays, and more
- External integration of content packages and learning tools using LTI, HTML, and iFrames
- Various course settings such as course calendar and pacing, grading scheme, instructor team, and more.
Open edX Learning Platform
The Open edX platform provides a easy-to-navigate learning experience, helping learners stay engaged and keep track of progress.
- A social learning environment with tools for both learners and instructors to use, forming a genuine learning community.
- Generation of certificates for learners who pass a course.
- An e-commerce platform that offers paid courses or certificates using popular payment gateway integrations.
- Single Sign-On
The Open edX platform provides easy-to-use data reporting tools.
- In-depth learner analytics with edX Insights
- Collect data on learner activity, demographics, and performance throughout a course
Extend and customize the platform
OpenCraft can work with your business requirements and expand the open source software to meet your needs.
- The look and feel of the platform can be themed to match your brand.
- Open edX instances can be integrated with 3rd party software and a suite of APIs.
- Seamless integration and customization with LTI tools, Content Management Systems, and Customer Relationship Management software and more.